Understanding the Basics: What is PELD?
PELD is a minimally invasive surgical technique used to treat various spinal conditions, particularly those affecting the lumbar (lower) spine. It involves the use of an endoscope—a thin, flexible tube with a camera and surgical tools—to access and treat the affected area of the spine.
Conditions Treated with PELD
PELD is commonly used to address conditions such as:
- Herniated Discs: When the cushion-like discs between your spinal vertebrae herniate or bulge, they can press on nerves, causing pain and discomfort.
- Spinal Stenosis: A narrowing of the spinal canal that can compress nerves, leading to pain, numbness, and weakness.
- Sciatica: Pain that radiates along the sciatic nerve, often due to compression by a herniated disc or other spinal issue.
- Foraminal Stenosis: A condition where the openings (foramina) through which nerves exit the spine become narrowed, causing nerve compression and pain.
The PELD Procedure: Key Points
Here's a simplified overview of what you can expect from the PELD procedure:
- Local Anesthesia: PELD is typically performed under local anesthesia, minimizing the need for general anesthesia.
- Small Incision: A small incision, often less than an inch, is made to access the affected area of the spine.
- Endoscopic Guidance: The surgeon uses an endoscope to visualize the spine and perform the necessary decompression.
- Precise Treatment: Surgical tools are inserted through the endoscope to remove or repair the source of nerve compression, such as a herniated disc or excess tissue.
- Minimized Tissue Disruption: PELD is designed to minimize damage to surrounding tissues, resulting in less postoperative pain and a shorter recovery period.
Recovery and Follow-Up
Recovery from PELD is generally quicker than traditional open surgery. You may be advised to gradually resume activities, guided by your healthcare provider. Follow-up appointments are crucial to monitor your progress and ensure the procedure's success.
RelievUS and PELD
Our team of skilled specialists at RelievUS is experienced in performing PELD procedures. We understand the impact that spinal conditions can have on your life, and we are committed to providing you with comprehensive care and a tailored treatment plan.
If you are living with a spinal condition and are seeking a minimally invasive solution to your pain, PELD may be the right choice for you. Contact us today to schedule a consultation, and let us help you regain comfort and mobility.